DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Replication

Smile

Hi everyone,

We are looking for a product for Oracle Replication for a very large 7x24 database.

Can anyone suggest me a good third party tool (Other than Oracle Replication)?

We are looking at sybase and quest products. If anyone is already using these products or have some other suggestion, please let me know.

Any information would be greatly appreciated......

Thanks in advance.

Padma

check out the BMC softwares too.
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

I would doubt if Oracle published its internals for 3'd party vendors to build GOOD replication engine. (If however it is so, I would like to know this API...)

A while ago I looked through docs about replication engine from Sybase but the documentation was not clear to say least. Nor it was clear how they intefaced Oracle for this task.

The issue is that to build replication one needs to serialise user transactions, i.e. to use Oracle's serialise transaction mode (this is quite expensive in terms of storage), or need access to some Oracle internals (transaction SCN).

Instead of replicating the DB at Software level, try to do it at hardware level. Consider Clustering the hardware (CPUs) with good EMC disk arrays.

The Standby DB or Shareplex from Quest will lead to transaction loss when the primary DB goes down.

We talked to Quest about the transaction loss and they are saying that it will be in a queue on the target server if the primary server goes down.

Can you please tell me more about this?

Thanks
    Padma