DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Move database from one unix box to another

Move database from one unix box to another

Hi Guys
    I am working on a project that requires me to move a 10.2.0.2 database from one unix server to another and rename it.
    Can any one of you send me a step by step doc please or advise?
    Thanks
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

just copy files to same place on new server and start it up

use nid for renaming it

Could you please give me more details?
    Arsene Lupain
    The lie takes the elevator, the truth takes the staircase but ends up catching up with the lie.

You need t install the same version of Oracle with the same patches. It needs to be the same operating system, and it helps if the file layout is the same. Shutdown your original database and copy over the datafiles, log files and archive log files into the same directory structure. You can also copy over you admin folder and the files in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. Although you will want to recreate your external password file with orapwd. Then you shoul be able to start up the database on the new server.

If you want to change the name or file location of the database, then you need to "alter database backup controlfile to trace;". Then look for the folder in your $ORACLE_BASE/admin/sidname/udump folder or wherever udump is on your system and edit the file for the new system.

If you don't know what I am talking about then you should get someone to help you to move the database.

You can use rsync to copy the files over.

Here is the example rsync syntax to copy the Oracle Home from one server (linux3) to another server (linux4). This process will ensure that all symbolic links and files owned by root get copied over correctly. Login to the source database server (linux3) as the root user account and run the following:

[root@linux3 ~]# rsync -auvzpogl -e ssh /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/ linux4:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/

Quote Originally Posted by revzalot View Post
    You can use rsync to copy the files over.

Here is the example rsync syntax to copy the Oracle Home from one server (linux3) to another server (linux4). This process will ensure that all symbolic links and files owned by root get copied over correctly. Login to the source database server (linux3) as the root user account and run the following:

[root@linux3 ~]# rsync -auvzpogl -e ssh /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/ linux4:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/db_1/

any decent sysadmin with have the 'r' services turbed off due to them being horribly insecure

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk View Post
    any decent sysadmin with have the 'r' services turbed off due to them being horribly insecure
    Which is why the above command is going over ssh to encrypt the data over the network.