DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: which backgroundnprocess works when we perform recover

which backgroundnprocess works when we perform recover

which background process works in background when we perform recovery

I can picture SMON and DBWn doing most of the leg work.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

SMON ok.But how come DBWn....Can you pls expain in detail..what about RECO....?

But still I think SMON will come in to picture for automatic instance recovery.....I was asking manual recovery.....

Why DBWn? let me answer with a question: Who writes to the datafiles?

RECO process is related to distributed transactions, not to database recovery.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

SMON - performs instance recovery

PMON - performs process recovery (user process) which cleans up database buffer cache and frees resources that the user process was using

DBW - When we issue recovery, archive redo log files begin to apply to data files. It's DBW duty