DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle DB restore on name Host

Oracle DB restore on name Host

Dear DBAs,

I have an urgent task.

Production DB 9i
    Solaris 9
    Veritas 6.5
    We backup our Oracle production database using Veritas Netbackup 6.5 with RMAN integration to tape.
    Is it possible to perform a restore of a production db to a test server (new host) without having any affect upon the production db or the RMAN catalog.
    Can the RMAN backup set for a particular db be restored at file level? If so then I could copy the RMAN files to test server and perform an RMAN recover using nocatalog.

The problem is that the Rman backup on tape of Production cannot be accessed by new host.The UNIX admin needs to do something. But all of them are gone.

Test Server Oracle10g on Solaris 10.

I copied pfile,spfile,control file move to new host on different directory & I already change the path of directories in pfile.
    I bit confuse how to restore spfile & contrl file from auto backup.
    I trying .......!!!!!!!!!!!

Test Server
    RMAN> target / nocatalog
    RMAN> startup nomount pfile='/export/home/oracle/initpfile.ora'; ---DB started nomount mode.

Q. How I restore spfile & control file from autobackup? I have to connect Target DB with or wihtout Recovery Cat DB....and restore spfile & controlfile does it any affect on production db?

If it is doable, would you please outline the procedure?

If it is not donable, what is the best way for me to finish this task?

Thank you very much!

Regs
    Asif

Thumbs down 10g is NOT 9i and Solaris 10 is NOT Solaris 9!

Production DB 9i Solaris 9
    Test Server Oracle10g on Solaris 10
    You cannot restore a 9i database using a 10g Oracle home, you need 9i software.

The problem is that the Rman backup on tape of Production cannot be accessed by new host.The UNIX admin needs to do something. But all of them are gone.
    If the backup on tape cannot be accessed by new host, you need to restore to a server which can access the tape, restore the files and then FTP to the other host.

I copied pfile,spfile,control file move to new host on different directory & I already change the path of directories in pfile.
    I bit confuse how to restore spfile & contrl file from auto backup.
    I trying .......!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you copied the physical files you still need the same version 9i software as the source database.
    Last edited by LKBrwn_DBA; 05-12-2009 at 10:18 AM.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Oracle 9i restore on new host

Thanks for ur reply....

I agreed with ur point regarding v cann't restore oracle9i on Oracle10g.
    If I'll get Oracle9i on Test Server. How I can access tap backup.
    As your advice my test server should be access tap device or
    v have to restore on server then move backup through FTP but in this case I have to restore my source (Production DB).

How I gona disturb production DB to restore.
    I need step by step instruction....

I need ur help & advice.

Thanks in advance.

Thumbs down Missing letters.

It seems your keyboard is missing some letters, some of the words in your post are incomplete and/or unintelligible.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb