DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Diskspace issue ARC Files....

Diskspace issue ARC Files....

Hi All,

I am a newbiee to oracle and have an issue with disk space. i have experience with MSSQL but i find it difficult to relate the oracle architecture to SQL.

We have a 100Gb worth of arc files, are these like SQL Transaction logs?
    and can i delete these?

I am not sure of how to backup the database and some help with this would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

Pete

use rman to back them up, then delete them - and yes they are transaction logs

look up rman at otn.oracle.com for concepts.

Hwoever it is a very large subject and not something you can just easily pick up

Let me translate for you a couple backup terms, that may help you to better relate your SQL Server experience to the Oracle world.

Simple Recovery Model = noarchivelog mode
    Full Recovery Model = archivelog mode

Tip #1:
    Since you have archivelog files that means your database is in archivelog mode then it allows for point in time recovery.

Tip #2:
    While you may consider a fact of life a SQL Server full recovery model backup being consistent that is not true for a hot backup taken out of a Oracle database running on archivelog mode. To make it consistent you have to further apply archivelogs. That's why the concepts of "restore" and "recovery" are very different and specific in the Oracle world.

Check the documentation as suggested by Dave and have a lot of fun
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.