DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Patches

Oracle Patches

Hi All,
    I need advice for doing patches.We have a primay database and a standby database.While doing patching in primary will it reflect in Standby?
    And there is more than one instance in Primay.Do i want to down the entire instances in the primary for patching?
    LittleAngel
    DBA-SQL,Oracle

Surely you'll have to patch both databases. And you'd have to take all instances down depending on nature of the patch but I think this is not a must for all patches. I'd suggest you to find a suitable downtime period, could be a night time or weekend, do it in the primary database, reflect this in the secondary, assuming you've tested all this in your development servers.
    Last edited by gtcol; 05-07-2009 at 11:34 AM.

You do not patch a database, you patch an Oracle codeset a.k.a. oracle_home.

All instances related to the affected Oracle codeset have to be down during patching.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for your Quick Response.
    MR.PAVB can i know the staus of the Standby Database?will the patching in Primary will reflect in Standby?Or a separate Pathcing in Standby need to perform?
    LittleAngel
    DBA-SQL,Oracle

You are not patching the database but the Oracle codeset meaning you are not doing any dml on your data then nothing can be reflected on standby. You are altering the Oracle binaries.

You have to patch each oracle_home therefore if you have two boxes with one oracle_home a piece you need to patch both of them.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.