DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA-1205:invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified

ORA-1205:invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified

I am unable to connect to Database from PLSQL-Devloper (in windows-XP) in client system. It's showing "ORA-1205:invalid or unknown NLS parameter value specified".

I did this in command prompt but getting the same error.

C:\ set NLS_LANG=

Pls help me out.

Cheers,
    gohappy
    Last edited by gohappy; 04-21-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Is this a fresh Oracle install or you used to connect to the target instance and it just stopped working?

By the way... the Oracle error you are getting, isn't it ORA-12705?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks Pablo,

I have been using PLSQL Dev for few months. It's not a fresh installed Oracle. Suddenly I got this error. Yes you are right, the error was OR-12705. When ever I am trying to connect to any other instace, I am getting this error.

The databases are up and running. Do you think there is something wrong with PLSQL Dev configuration?

Waiting for your valuable suggestions.

Cheers,
    gohappy

I would try unset NLS_LANG.

Problem here is that on a Windows machine NLS_LANG has to be unset in the Windows registry -some people will suggest to first take a back up or your Registry then rename the offending key instead of deleting it.

After taking a backup of the registry I would look for the NLS_LANG subkey in the registry at \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE..., and rename it as NLS_LANG_BAD or something like this, reboot the pc and try again.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.