DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Problem with IN operator

Problem with IN operator

I'm having a strange problem when using IN operator in a query. The following query works in one database which is 9i and does not work(not returning any rows) in another database which is 10g.

select * from
    where IN
    (select from
    where =
    )

Another thing is if I replace the view with a table the query returns results in 10g. If I replace IN operator with a '=' the query returns results.

The question is:

Am i missing any default setting in database level? Why the query did not return any rows when I use view? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    I'm pretty sure the query you have posted is not the actual offending query.

IN operator works just fine on Ora10g; look at your code and your data.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

My query is like this

select * from table_name
    where column_name IN
    (select column_name from view_name
    where column_name = value
    )

It is returns records in another database which is 9i. If I use a table instead of view, I get records.

Quote Originally Posted by lgopalakrishnan View Post
    If I use a table instead of view, I get records.
    Most probably your view is wrong; look at your view.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

more info

It helps if you post create table/insert data and your select statement so we can check it out

6. Posting Permissions