DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to take hotbackup with out using pl/sql code

Smile how to take hotbackup with out using pl/sql code

how to take hotbackup with out using pl/sql code ....

hi guys ,,i need to take the hot backup....pls send the ..commands ,procedure to do the same...its urgent ....tku

ahhh.really u have to use pl/sql code..wonder

try this:

c:\>rman target sys/password@service_name
    rman>backup format 'c:\oracle_%U' database;

just a simple way of taking hot n full backup..one backup piece..
    choose format as u wish..
    allocate channels for parallelism..
    limit max set size..
    limit maxpiece size..
    limit maxopenfiles..
    autobackup of controlfile n spfile..

many other options r there..read sm oracle docs..just google "rman backup and recovery"
    lucky

Quote Originally Posted by prk_dbaaspirant View Post
    how to take hotbackup with out using pl/sql code ....
    pl/sql code to take a hot backup?

You can either use the rman solution suggested by previous poster or do it the good-n-old way.

Put tablespaces in backup mode
    Copy datafiles
    Take tablespaces out of backup mode

Be sure your database is in archivelog mode and you are backing up your archivelogs.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    pl/sql code to take a hot backup?

You can either use the rman solution suggested by previous poster or do it the good-n-old way.

Put tablespaces in backup mode
    Copy datafiles
    Take tablespaces out of backup mode

Be sure your database is in archivelog mode and you are backing up your archivelogs.
    I wrote our current backup script to use PL/SQL to generate the SQL backup script which is then run to put each tablespace into backup mode so that its datafiles can be backed up and gzipped. So yes PL/SQL might make sense.

Although, we are in the process of converting to RMAN. The feature set in 10g and especially 11g is just too good. I have a script that either clones or sets up a standby database all using RMAN, on the same or a different server as the source db.

hmmm...is it like that?

SQL>alter tablespace users begin backup;
    SQL> $ copy .........
    lucky

best method is to use rman... if you take user managed backup(that is putting tablespace in begin backup mode) there can be many problems like excessive redo generation...etc..so best way is to use rman

Quote Originally Posted by gandolf989 View Post
    I wrote our current backup script to use PL/SQL to generate the SQL backup script which is then run to put each tablespace into backup mode so that its datafiles can be backed up and gzipped. So yes PL/SQL might make sense.
    I can understand that, no problem but... original post was worded in a way it suggests PL/SQL would be the primary -or most used - tool to take a hot backup which is not the case.

Following the same line of thinking I few years ago I might said "how to take hot backup with out calling Mark?"... just because Mark was the primary responsible of backups
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

thanks to all for this.....and sory for late reply iam unfair...tkuuuu