DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Variables in SQL Loader

Variables in SQL Loader

Hi All,
    Can anyone kindly give me an approach to use a variable in a sql loader ctl file. I am trying to add the value before each insert of row and this value is the file name. So the question is how can I dynamically identify the input data file name, if not, is there a way I can make my SQL Loader to insert a value (file name) before each row into the table.
    Regards,
    Aj

You can always specify a "constant" value in your sql loader control file.

If you want to make that constant a variable depending on the session you may want to explore creating the control file on the fly; your process build your control file dynamically then executes sql loader pointing to your newly created control file.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Dear PAVB, I appreciate you response. I never though we could declare variables/constants (or I must say I never tried declaring variables/constants) in a SQL Loader Control File. I will do some research on it. I would really appreciate if you could forward me any links/document/sample code that might help my research. Thank you, Aj

That's the beauty of Oracle documentation; allows you to master each piece of the technology, it's easily available and free!

You may want to start here... http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...dr.htm#i436326
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.