DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to execute emctl of $AGENT_HOME/bin from Target Home to blackout target

Question How to execute emctl of $AGENT_HOME/bin from Target Home to blackout target

Hi all,

Goal
    ----
    I want to execute "emctl start blackout " from target database server and not from Grid Control server.

I want to execute this command from the target database cold backup script before starting the Cold backup so that Grid Control does not send out database/listener down alerts when the database is offline for cold backup.

Problem
    --------
    If I execute "emctl start blackout " from target instance Home/bin on target database server using the target server emctl command, I get error "EM Configuration issue. $ORACLE_HOME/_ not found."

If I execute "$AGENT_HOME/bin/emctl start blackout " from the target database server, I get error "ksh: $AGENT_HOME/bin/emctl: cannot execute"

How can I execute the emctl and may be some other commands of $AGENT_HOME/bin from the target server?

Thanks in Advance.
    Sam
    ------------------------
    To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart

Hi,

Have you installed agent on target server with different user than user with which you installed oracle software.
    If yes then try "emctl status agent" from that user after ensuring that $OH for that user is set to AGENT home.
    Rgds
    Parag

Quote Originally Posted by paragp1981 View Post
    Hi,

Have you installed agent on target server with different user than user with which you installed oracle software.
    If yes then try "emctl status agent" from that user after ensuring that $OH for that user is set to AGENT home.
    Hi Parag,

Yes. Agent on the target box is installed with a different user because we have multiple Oracle instances/target databases running on the node for which there is only one agent.

I logged in as agent oracle user and did emctl status agent which shows "Agent is Running and Ready". But how this is going to resolve my problem?

What I want to do is issue blackout command from the target node so as to blackout the target instance during its Cold backup.

Thanks,
    Sam
    ------------------------
    To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart

I asked because i saw errors like
    "$ORACLE_HOME/_ not found." "ksh: $AGENT_HOME/bin/emctl: cannot execute"

So i thought either ENV variables are not set properly or trying to run command with wrong user.

Well its strange that you can run "emctl status agent" from user but for same user while trying "emctl start blackout" its giving you emctl cannot execute.

You can also try to schedule repetative blackout from EM console itself.
    (Just a workaround i thought)
    Rgds
    Parag