DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Question about table name with sysdate pl/sql

Question about table name with sysdate pl/sql

I am attempting to create a table with pl/sql where the table name has sysdate (current date) in the name (i.e my_table_sysdate). I need to re-create this table weekly with new data and append the date to the table name. Please help

Dynamic sql would do it.

Build your command line as dynamic sql then execute immediate.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thank you

Thanks for the quick reply. Therefore I can issue a create table my_tablename_sysdate at a command line and execute immediate and it will create a table with sysdate in the table name. Just to clarify

Quote Originally Posted by The_Oracle View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Therefore I can issue a create table my_tablename_sysdate at a command line and execute immediate and it will create a table with sysdate in the table name. Just to clarify
    No.

You can build a command line resorting to dynamic sql, include date on your table name then execute immediate the command line and you will create a table with sysdate as part of the name.

I'm not doing your job for you but... take a look at this:

Code:
    select  'MYTABLE_'  ||
            to_char(sysdate, 'YYYYMMDD') as "TABLENAME"
    from    dual;
    ... do you get the idea??
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thank you

Thanks again. I got it.