DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Consistent Backup - Read only?

Consistent Backup - Read only?

Hi There, we are doing a major upgrade to one of our systems which involves application/dbase upgrade and then a client roll out/upgrade.

Before the upgrade we will shutdown the database and take an offline backup of the datafiles to get a consistent database backup.
    I was wondering if after the upgrade i can restart dbase in read only mode and and do the post upgrade backup this way. I presume this will still be a consistent database backup?
    If so it will allow us to proceed with the client roll out while the database is being backed up but still being able to test connectivty of the client saving us some time.

Cool Startup upgrade?

If by "after the upgrade i can restart dbase in read only mode" you refer to having issued the "STARTUP UPGRADE" and executed all the necesary scripts, yes you could start the database in read-only while you do the post-upgrade backup.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Thanks for the (sarky) response
    I'm not talking about an oracle version upgrade, this is just a bought in application upgrade that happens to update some tables in the database (upgrading the database to the new application version as it were - remaining on a 9i database)
    Sorry if that was not clear.

Got it, some DDL and DML sent by the sofware vendor, isn't it?

Do you want to be safe?

After the app upgrade just shutdown the database, cleanly - then take another cold backup like the first one you took.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

But why another backup immediately after the app upgrade? You took the before image, so that you can go back if app upggrade screws up. Once it is succesful, shouldn't you just return to your normal backup schedule? You still have the pre-upgrade copy, right?
    Looking for the greatest evil in the world? Look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuma View Post
    But why another backup immediately after the app upgrade?
    Too many reasons I don't even want to know. Poster wanted to know how to take a post upgrade backup, that's what he/she gets from me -after all I'm a DBA not a shrink
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Really all i want to know is if i start a database in read only mode (after having been shutdown cleanly) and then backup the database while it is in read only mode, is this backup as consistent as an offline backup?
    LKBrown seems to think so (and i would agree)