DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Changing the location of backups

Changing the location of backups

Hi all,

I am new in this field and wondering if you can help.

We have an oracle 9i production system with hot backups and archive logs stored in one particualr location. Now the disk size is very low and we need to add more space into. How can i change the location of where the backups
    are stored? Do i need to stop databases in this case? We do also have a standby server where all backups are copied.

Also it is possible just to add more space without stopping anything?

Thanks in advance.

depends how you do your backups

Quote Originally Posted by trans53 View Post
    ... it is possible just to add more space without stopping anything?
    It all depends on the architecture of your shop.

This is a question for your storage guy/gal, tell him/her how much space you need, where you need it... they will tell you were space can be provisioned with or without downtime.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thank you for replies, i will try to talk to the sys admin.
    Also, how can i connect to 10g EM console or sql plus as sysdba? i am able to get as sys but not as sysdba.

If you do...

sqlplus /nolog
    conn sys as sysdba
    hit enter

... what happens?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.