DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: new database

Hi, I am new on Oracle. Can any one give me ideas on brand new database installation on Solaris, the oracle version will be 8.1.7.

Thanks!

1. The Oracle Installer GUI is pretty straight forward and easy to use. You can create a sample database from there.

2. Make sure you have the appropriate permissions and that you have set the /etc/system parameters correctly. These are outlined in the Installation Guide.

3. With 8.1.7, I like to install from Disk instead of CD-ROM. Create a directory, say /tmp/oinstall and create two sub-directories; /tmp/oinstall/Disk1 and /tmp/oinstall/Disk2 (Case is VERY important). Then, install from /tmp/oinstall/Disk1/runInstaller.sh
    Jeff Hunter

Thank you. After the installation, the dafault database is created, if I want to create db with different structure, do I need to drop all the db files including control file, redo log and .dbf files? then I run the create db script to create the new database, and run the catalog.sql and catproc.sql?

There is another GUI that helps you create a new database. I believe it is called dbassist.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks!

But in what mode I should run the scripts to create the db, db nomount or db open?

Using dbassist, database startup/shutdown, etc is taken care of for you...
    Jeff Hunter