DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: User login

User login

hi DBA gurus, Greetings once again! today while i was workin on my development database i came across these kinds of doubts.

1. wat is the difference between sqlplus / as sysdba and sqlplus user/user as sysdba. even when i logged into the db as the latter one i found the user is sys after querying "show user"

2. How to create a user and give him all DBA privileges.

3. And after granting all the DBA privileges how to login into the database? giv me some of ur real time example hw to login?

please answer me to these questions. Thanks in advance

1) Read about Operating System authentication vs. Oracle authentication.

2) You don't put a gun in the hands of an underage kid, don't you?

3) By... login in?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    1) Read about Operating System authentication vs. Oracle authentication.

2) You don't put a gun in the hands of an underage kid, don't you?

3) By... login in?
    i'm not talkin about the normal user paul, a new recruit in our team has to be given an id. so we need 2 create a user n give him all dba privileges except some.

3) yes by login how u would login into the oracle or sqlplus.

wat is the command u wud giv?

I'm really confused.

Probably I'm having a bad day and I'm not getting right your questions. Are you asking how to create and account and grant a specific role to it? Are you also asking how to connect to the database via sqlplus when your initial post includes such information?

What's your specific role in the organization?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    I'm really confused.

Probably I'm having a bad day and I'm not getting right your questions. Are you asking how to create and account and grant a specific role to it? Are you also asking how to connect to the database via sqlplus when your initial post includes such information?

What's your specific role in the organization?
    sorry for your bad day. my question is creating user and after that how to grant dba privileges?

as far as my connect to database question is concerned, i hav connected with the username and password as sysdba, even after that it is showin the user is sys in the oracle.??

thanks for ur patience to reply me paul... thanks in advance

Talking Oracle® DBA?

Why don't you just do as PAVB suggests and read the fine Oracle® Database Administrator's Guide on this subject?
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb