DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Db crashed with no backups :confused:

Db crashed with no backups :confused:

Hi all
    We've just had a scenario here; one of our dev db has just crashed due to unavoidable power failure. We've had no backup for this since the beginning. I could recover redo logfiles; I couldn't RECOVER datafiles though. I am trying out CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE orcl RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG option, provided I don't have backups for control files, redo logfile, datafiles, spfiles or anything. I am on RHEL 4, Oracle 10gR2.

Please suggest.

Try out this

I am not sure whether this will work.

1)mount the database
    2)alter database backup controlfile to trace
    3)open the trace file
    4)Follow the commands in the trace file
    a)recreate the control file
    b)after creating the control file follow the recommendations made by trace file.(For ex it will suggest you to run some packages)
    C) try opening the database.

Recently it had worked for me.
    Please let me know if it worked

In order to do recovery on a database you need the data files even if the database is inconsistent, and as much redo as necessary to make the database consistent. If you already have the control files, you should not try to recreate them.

The basic recovery command is:
    recover standby database until cancel;

It will then ask you to find the archive logs. If the database is in archive log mode and you have them then type auto and see if the database finds what it needs. If the database is not in archive log mode you can try the same command but keep pointing it to different redo files. Once you have used up all of that you might need to run the command yet again and instead type cancel which cancels the recovery. If you do this then you need to open the database with reset archive logs.

You may want to back up everything that you have in case you want to start the recovery again. you should also get an rman repository and start using rman, or at least do hot backups. And whatevery you do make sure that you put the database in archive log mode, and keep all the archives from the present until the last full good backup.

Why not just import production into development?
    I remember when this place was cool.

Wow, Mr. Hanky the voice of reason??? Have you suffered any traumatic brain injuries lately? Or are you liberalizing your views not that we have a new president??? Yes, they could import prod into test. It just depends on what they had in test that they don't have in prod and whether or not they have the ddl to make a copy of prod look like dev.

Go Giants!!! oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hanky View Post
    Why not just import production into development?

Quote Originally Posted by gandolf989 View Post
    Wow, Mr. Hanky the voice of reason??? Have you suffered any traumatic brain injuries lately? Or are you liberalizing your views not that we have a new president??? Yes, they could import prod into test. It just depends on what they had in test that they don't have in prod and whether or not they have the ddl to make a copy of prod look like dev.

Go Giants!!! oops.

Save it for O.U. putz.

GTCOL;

If you are really slick you can tell them you "took this opportunity to refresh their development environment with current prod data."

It's worth a shot, but if they had packages and procs in there that were under construction, you are SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by gtcol View Post
    Hi all
    We've just had a scenario here; one of our dev db has just crashed due to unavoidable power failure. We've had no backup for this since the beginning. I could recover redo logfiles; I couldn't RECOVER datafiles though. I am trying out CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE orcl RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG option, provided I don't have backups for control files, redo logfile, datafiles, spfiles or anything. I am on RHEL 4, Oracle 10gR2.

Please suggest.
    you said you only had a powercut - why are you doing any sort of recovery?

did you actually lose some files?