DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9i exp utility against 11g database

9i exp utility against 11g database

I need to export from a 11g database into a 9i database. I am running the utilities from my local machine where I have both 11g and 9i client installed. My default home is 11g. Since I need to use the lowest DB version to export from, I am invoking the export utility like :
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\>C:\oracle\ora92\bin\exp.exe file=expdat1.dmp 
    Export: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Tue Jan 27 12:50:02 2009
    Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Connected to: Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.6.0 - 64bit
    Production
    With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
    Export done in WE8MSWIN1252 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set
    server uses UTF8 character set (possible charset conversion)
    after which point I get an application error and exp terminates.

If I run this utility against my 9i database, the export completes properly.

Any ideas what is happening ?

Thanks.

and whats the error?

Well it is a Microsoft application error saying "EXP.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.".
    Not informative...

maybe the exp version...

In the past I had an awkful lot of errors doing 9.2.0.4 exports connecting against 10g databases (mainly due to the new datatypes), I solved the issue only upgrading 9i home to 9.2.0.7 (the last patchset in the ocasion, today 9.2.0.8 is the last) : try it.

Regards,

Chiappa

If you have you local default ORACLE_HOME set to Ora11g and you try to run Ora9i Export it will fail. Can't tell if this is the case because you have not included the actual error in your post.

Assuming you are correct and you have two ORACLE_HOMEs in you local PC you just have to switch ORACLE_HOME to Ora9i, then run export.

Oracle Home Switch option should be pretty close to Start/Programs/Oracle/Switch...
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I could not find Oracle Home Switch, so I used the free tool Oracle Locator Express. After changing the homes, I can switch back and forth between my 9i and 11g homes to run the exp and imp utilities. Thanks.

rshivagami, only to add : absolutely is NOT required an external tool like that, exp is a coomand-line tool, in the DOS prompt you could do :

SET ORACLE_HOME=pathtothedesiredhome
    SET PATH=%ORACLE_HOME%\BIN;%PATH%
    SET ORACLE_SID=desiredSID

after this the correct exp.exe would be used...

Regards,

Chiappa