DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Super Newbies Want to Know How to Migrate database from different OS

Hybrid View

Super Newbies Want to Know How to Migrate database from different OS

Hello All,

I'm super new to oracle. I want to know how to migrate database. Is there any document out there that has the instruction/procedure how to migrate database from one platform to another?

Ideas and Suggestions are fully appreciated.
    Nguyens

Yes there is a plethora of documentation out there. It would help to know what Oracle version and operating system you are migrating from and to. It would also help to post in the right forum.

So what are you really trying to accomplish?

Hi Expert,

I'm trying to migrate database from HP-UX 9i to Linux 10g latest version on both source and target database from and to. I know that I'm using the old technique exp/imp utility. However, I'm not sure if it helps me to have indexfile parameter within the exp/imp command line when i'm exp/imp data. Also, in the target database side, after I created a new empty database. Should I create the empty structure first and import the binary data in or what? I'm testing it right now on my test environment. But still hoping that I could find a guide/procedure out there in detail so that I could match up my steps.

Thank you very much in advance that you took your time and help me out,
    nguyens

Couple of follow up questions...

1- What's the size of the database?
    2- Did you create the Ora10g version with exactly the same tablespaces and sizes?
    3- How many schemas are you migrating?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi Expert PAVB,

I'm planning to migrate about 10G worth of data from 9i HP-UX to 10g Redhat Linux. There's about 3 schemas needed to be move to the new database. I'm thinking of creating a new empty database then create all the structure and just move the metadata. This way I don't have to worry about upgrading and postupgrading stuffs. However, this is only my plan and of course I don't have the experience like you or other expert to see which is better approach for this. This is the reason why I posted this question. I'm looking for some guidance from the expert as how I should proceed and what is the best way to plan for this.

Thanks in advance for you help,
    nguyens

10gb, that's an export/import in my book. Lets you clean up problems from the last db like block size and extent management.
    Jeff Hunter

Exclamation

Why don't you call a DBA for this and attend some classes or read some books to get more familiar with Oracle. The biggest mistake you will be doing is : migrating your , whatever sized/version, database without being comfortable with exp/imp.

I would not suggest that way of working. Thats a wrong practice.

Quote Originally Posted by onkar.nath View Post
    Why don't you call a DBA for this and attend some classes or read some books to get more familiar with Oracle. The biggest mistake you will be doing is : migrating your , whatever sized/version, database without being comfortable with exp/imp.

I would not suggest that way of working. Thats a wrong practice.
    Nice! A rookie with an attitude. Watch your steps carefully, some people out there will be patiently waiting for you to misstep
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.