DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to restore a database via RMAN but different DB_NAME?

Hybrid View

How to restore a database via RMAN but different DB_NAME?

I am trying to restore a database from RMAN but using a different DB_NAME/SID. The 'new' database is called DEV and I want to restore from an RMAN backup. Unfortunately, there is another db on the server called PROD, and the OLD PROD database is unavailable, hence the restore from rman backups.
    I have managed to restore the controlfile from rman, but when I try to mount this database, so I can restore the datafiles, it says ORA-01103: database name 'PROD' in control file is not 'DEV'
    Thanks. Rgds. Sheryl

Go through this ...

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...b.htm#i1008564

Go to "Preparing the RMAN DUPLICATE Auxiliary Instance: Basic Steps" section.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Unfortunatly the 'old' prod (target) database is unavailable, therefore I can't use the duplicate database in rman.

And as the old prod is unavailable (server down), I can't use the 'tried and tested' method of 'Hot backups', copying the datafiles across and re-creating the controlfile. I have to use the RMAN backups from tape.

Talking Use recoevry from backup controlfile

Use the RMAN Restore and Recovery of the Database on a New Host or Recovery with a Backup Control File which do not require connectivity to the source db.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Once you have restored/recovered the database simply use the nid to rename the database.

Hi, Thanks for the information. The problem is the 'HOST', I am restoring to already has a database called PROD and if I restore will it overwrite the existing PROD database?
    Rgds. Sheryl