DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: daily routine work

daily routine work

hi, greetings everybody,

i'm new to this DBA field, so i may sound childish when i ask this question. What is the daily work of a DBA? What is the daily routine work of an Oracle DBA? i hope many DBA gurus would share their experience. Thanks in advance

to make sure their databases are available, reliable, performant and recoverable

what that involves depends on company to company and app to app

I think if you're doing the same thing every day, there's a big problem. Who wants to spend their life checking log files and running the same old scripts on the database? If you end up doing something more than three times, automate it. I think the last time I looked at an alert.log was three years ago. I automated the process so when something of interest pops up, I get an alert. I have a script that watches free space in the database and knows when and where to add a datafile should the need arise.

Your worth as a DBA increases when you can solve problems, not check items off a list.

YMMV
    Jeff Hunter

wow.. u r really a super genius guru... if u don't mind can u pls tel me the script wat u r usin for checkin the freespace? thanks in advance

I read my emails, monitor databases usually through
    email, write bash scripts to do the work, play Dungeon
    Crawl and write snarky posts on online forums.

thanx for ur replies, how we could find our databases are performant??

are your users complaining?

not complainin abt tat, inorder to know whether ther is any slight degradation in the performance wat we can do? a pro active method i'm askin guru... thanks in advance

when your users start complaining things are different

Try looking up performance tuning at http://tahiti.oracle.com. How you do proactive tuning depends on the version of Oracle you are using. But generally look a turning on sql_trace using the set events 10046. If you have access to OEM either the locally installed version that exists through version 10g or the web based version in 10g and 11g you should be able to find things that need tuned. Tuning is a big subject and it really depends on the database and application you are using.