DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoring an Oracle database from a Unix environment to Windows environment

ya. Linux 10.2.0.4 32-bit. Windows 10.2.0.3 64-bit.

I might be the same to move to Linux 10.2.0.3 first, then run startup upgrade to upgrade it to 10.2.0.4. But I already have Linux 10.2.0.4 binary installed.

Windows 64 bit => 32 bit needs to invalidate/recompile.

Quote Originally Posted by sql888
    ya. Linux 10.2.0.4 32-bit. Windows 10.2.0.3 64-bit.

I might be the same to move to Linux 10.2.0.3 first, then run startup upgrade to upgrade it to 10.2.0.4. But I already have Linux 10.2.0.4 binary installed.

Windows 64 bit => 32 bit needs to invalidate/recompile.
    Just curious what ever lead you to believe that the process of simply copying datafiles across platforms is supported ?

Full database platform migration is only supported in 10gR2+ with the help of RMAN.

RMAN is doing the same trick at the DF level. when RMAN do the copy file, it's like hot backup.

actually, in metalink, there is an internal note about how to use RMAN backupset if the control file is corrupted and unrecoverable. So essentially, controlfile is not needed, all needed is the extracted datafiles from the backupset.

In my experiment, one more complication is the RAC ASM -> non-RAC/non-ASM. The data files are all magic numbers generated by Oracle Managed files. When I do the DB refresh, I will stop the Standby DB apply (non-RAC/non-ASM). and copy the DFs over. This provides consistency during the copy.

Quote Originally Posted by sql888
    RMAN is doing the same trick at the DF level. when RMAN do the copy file, it's like hot backup.
    Which same trick...the actual conversion ? If any conversion is required, the CONVERT DATABASE would have to be utilized (even with the same endian format).

Restoring a datafile(s) from a backupset is totally different than copying a datafile across different platforms.

In addition, the OP was talking about converting from UNIX to Windows which is a totally different scenario all together.

Hi,

Havent done this, but we explored the possiblity of doing this for a cross platform move from Sun to IBM. You can achieve this for one-time or repeated full refresh by using RMAN to move from one platform to another platform in 10g (depending on the "endian" format of the db). Your case is not a one-time refresh. You have a different requirement. Your requirement is to keep the data in a non-production environment in sync with production. You might be able to use STREAMS. I am not sure about it cos of cross-platform issues. OR you can use plain-old replication.

Regards,

Shaji.
    Shaji
    DBA(oracle,sqlserver,hyperion essbase,peoplesoft).