DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 11g-Connect from SQLPLUS but not TOAD

11g-Connect from SQLPLUS but not TOAD

All,

I am able to connect to my 11g database remotely via SQLPLUS but not through TOAD. I get 'invalid username/password' error. I have tried with different password cases, I am able to connect to other 11g databases, but not this particular one. My TOAD version is 9.0. Any ideas ?

Thanks.

You are probably pointing to the wrong database, not your fault. Toad has the ability to work with multiple TNSNAMES files which sometimes might be a nightmare.

Look at file CONNECTIONS.INI
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Talking Sec_case_sensitive_logon

If you have set the SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter to true, then the database expects "case sensitive" passwords. TOAD somehow seems to convert the passwords to uppercase before logon.

Workarounds:

1) Set your password in the database to UPPER case -- or --
    2) Set SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter to false.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA
    If you have set the SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter to true, then the database expects "case sensitive" passwords. TOAD somehow seems to convert the passwords to uppercase before logon.

Workarounds:

1) Set your password in the database to UPPER case -- or --
    2) Set SEC_CASE_SENSITIVE_LOGON parameter to false.
    Thanks LKBrwn_DBA. Setting the password to uppercase in the database helped me login via TOAD.

Case sensitivity

the situation could be the same with sqlplus as well. It all depends on how the sqlcase variable has been set. MIXED, UPPER or LOWER. TOAD seems to set to UPPER all the passwords before sending them to the db server. SQL developer though does not seem to alter their case.