DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: storage issue on SAN drive

storage issue on SAN drive

Hi we have recently bought HP Itanium servers with SAN storage.
    Our data will reside on SAN storage and not on disks alongside server.
    We have 8 SAN disks out of which 2 will be reserved for other usage.
    Data has to be migrated from current server to this new server configuartion.
    We have 4 datafiles containing user data that are heavily used and there are 4 index datafiles.
    Taking into account system datafile, undo tablespace datafile, 3 copies of control file, 3 membered 3 group redo log config and archived logs, I want to place data on SAN storage that wud facilitate optimal I/O efficiency.

All I know about SAN is that it stripes data across various disks.Since tha data would be striped, so I am bit confused about how the datafiles and redo/archived logs should be placed on this type of storage.
    I tried to figure it out on google but didnt get much.

So you have 6 disks left, if you mirror them you have 3. I would striped accross all 3 of them .
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

do you mean 8 physical devices or 8 filesystems? In the SAN world it makes a difference. Is it hardware RAID or software RAID?
    Jeff Hunter

I suppose it implements RAID 5 at hardware level. Out of 8 disks, 2 are reserved for storing sm parity information. In this way, even if we pull out 2 hard disks while running, the whole system will be unaffceted. The OR ing info on 2 reserved disks will make our system fault tolerant.
    I ma not much sure of it.. Explaining what i got to know from the person who came to install the server.

I can't really tell what you've got from your description. The more physical spindles you have for your data, the better.
    Jeff Hunter