DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: location of init.ora ,control file and alert file

Hi
    I want to know were we can locate these files init.ora,control file and alert in NT and in unix installation .
    what are the purposes of all these files exactly since i am learning dba at present

Thanks
    lnr
    html code is off

init.ora - Usually located in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs. In some unix installations, this entry is a link to $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/pfile. The init.ora file contains parameters that specify memory, database defaults, etc. that the database uses at startup.

control files - These files are specified in the init.ora file by the CONTROL_FILES parameter. There are usually multiple copies of the control file on multiple disks. The control files are binary files that keep track of the files that compose the database and which SCN (transaction) is current.

alert.log - This file location is specified in the init.ora file by the backround_dump_dest parameter. This file is usually in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/bdump. The alert.log file is a log of database level events that should be monitored by a human.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks for that

Hi

I have some doubts on ckpt ,smon ,pmon ,dba buffer and so on can u give a clear picture of complete structure

Thanks
    lnr
    html code is off

Hi,
    ckpt - related with logfiles used for performing checkpoints
    smon - for coelacing the disk fragmentations
    pmon - for resolving dead locks and freeing up process
    dba buffer - related with ckpt & dbwr holding the actual content of the data
    Pls refer to the Oracle Manual or Kevin Looney's Oracle DBA Handbook

Rgds
    Ganesh .R
    A Winner never Quits, A Quitter never Wins
    Ganesh .R