DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archive Log Mode during Hot Backups

Post Archive Log Mode during Hot Backups

If we talk only about hot backups, and not about restore or recover.
    in begin backup mode SCN in header of datafile is frozen and
    1. data is updated in datafiles when ever a DML is fired
    2. and SCN in updated after finishing backup i.e end backup mode taking the information from checkpoint.

if so
    1. why database is required to be in archive log mode for taking hot backup?
    2. is the REDO or Archived REDOs are used by datafiles during the backup phase or after completing the backup.
    3. if not, then what is the requirement to keep database in archive log mode.

with regards
    Prthvira
    INDI

depends how you are doing the backups

It's all depends on your business requirement whether the database is on archive log mode or noarchive log.

In case any mishaps like database crash or accedentally deleted table(s) or datafile(s) or tablespace(s) ...

If your business can effort to loose the data from last full backup to the time of mishap then you can put the database in NOarchivelog mode.

If your business needs to recover every thing upto the time of mishap then you should put the database in archivelog mode.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

with thanks to tummala, can we take successfull hot backup(db up and runing) in no archive mode.(not concern to restore or recovery)

if not, then what is the role of REDO log and Archived logs in hot backup process.

with regards.
    Prthvira
    INDI

no you cannot

and they have the same role as they do when there isnt a backup - recording changes

with thanks to davey23uk, What is the necessity to keep database in Archive Log Mode to take hot backup, I mean what actually happens inside, such that archive log mode is required, if not hot backup cannot be taken.

With regards.
    Prthvira
    INDI

so what happens to the changes when the backup is taking place, if you don't have archive log mode where are those changes to be kept?

with thanks to davey23uk, what i understood is changes are always written to redo log. if DB in archive mode, on log switch archive is generated, if in no archive mode, changes are lost the moment redo log group is used again.

During hot backup, changes are written in datafile and recorded in redo logs.
    then why the archive log mode is required (not concerning to restore and recover). (i understood db should be in archive log mode, what i want to know is what's happening internally during hot backup, such that archive log mode is required)

with regards
    Prthvira
    INDI

Probably the below link clears your confusion.

http://advait.wordpress.com/2008/05/...kup-oracle-9i/

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

with thanks to tummala

great information, but one query, once we end hot backups,SCN in datafile header is updated to current scn, at that time do any changes, inserts happened during backup are written to datafile from archived redo logs. if not then why it is compulsary to put database in archive log mode during hot backups?.(i am not concerned about restore and recover but only about hot backup process)

with regards
    Prthvira
    INDI