DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 6 DB support

Oracle 6 DB support

I have been asked to look at an Oracle 6 DB problem and can't get to the bottom of it. I only have access via a dialup modem at 9.6 kbaud.

The error that is appears when trying to insert into a table, 'ORA-01556: maximum number of 57 extents exceeded' the table in question has max extents set to 800, I have added a datafile to the tablespace that the table resides in with no success.

Any ideas?
    (I know an Oracle 6 DB is past its sell by date - but a shiny new system is on the horizon)

Maybe it's the tablespace?
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by SandLake
    (I know an Oracle 6 DB is past its sell by date - but a shiny new system is on the horizon)
    Oracle 7 is past its sell date, 6 is ancient.

I know from Oracle 7.3.4 that the number of extents is related to the block size. So a 4K block size will give you 121 extents, i would make a guess and say that somehow you are dealing with 2K block sizes. So you might need to drop the constraints on the table, rename the table and create a table that will put everything in one extent and provide room to grow. You want to make sure that you know how to create the table and its extents before you start.

You can also do an export with compress turned on drop the schema create the user with all its grants and reimport the data. This will make the extents such that each object will fit in one table. This may cause issues with fragmentation on your tablespaces.
    Last edited by gandolf989; 10-21-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Excuse me for being dim but how does a 4K block size give you 121 extents?

Quote Originally Posted by SandLake
    Excuse me for being dim but how does a 4K block size give you 121 extents?
    I got the number from memory. It looks like a 2K block size will allow you to have 121 extents. a 1K block size will allow only 57 extents.

I found this online, this should help you to understand where the numbers come from. You really need to get this upgraded, and soon.

"Extent maps: In the header of every type of segment, there is an extent map, a list of all extents, including the data block address of the first block and their length in blocks. Until Oracle7 v7.3, this extent map was limited to a single database block itself, requiring limits on the size of the extent map based on the database block size."

http://www.evdbt.com/MythsExtPerf.doc

4th December is on the cards!

Thanks once again