DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cloning database

cloning database

Hi,

please tell me the cloning process, my client is using sql sever'05 wit oracle 9i database.

how i clone the entire database in another location. plz help me and give the total script for the job.

thanking u.

sunil

Are you aware you are talking about two different RDBMS technologies?

Be good to your client and hire a DBA -or two.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Are you cloning from SQL Serer to Oracle or from Oracle to SQL Server? No one will know how to clone your data without knowing anything about what you are doing. How many tables, how much data, how often do you need to clone, etc...? Both databases have tools that will help you to create flat files with your data, and then import into the other database. You can also use Oracle Heterogeneous services to create a direct connection between the databases and then set up replication between the two.

But you won't get someone to figure this out for you.

Thumbs up

dude, seriously... i agree with PAVB, but to be more diplomatic...
    google it... there's tons of documentation onm the net, try Metalink as well...
    good luck!