DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 10g & 11g clients acting differently

10g & 11g clients acting differently

I have a local 10g database server.
    For clients I have both 10g and 11g, which are both needed for application testing.

If I enter username/password to log in from the 10g SQL Plus client it is smart enough to know that I mean the only Oracle server running on my machine and connects.

If I enter username/password to log in from the 11g SQL Plus client it fails to connect w an ORA-12560 error. I need to enter the service name specified in TNSNAMES to access the db.

How can I get my 11g client to connect to the server without having to specify the service name?

Thanks
    -mcslain

you need to specify the service name

is there an explanation as to why if i can not do this? i would like to understand the limitation...

You can also try setting ORACLE_SID and possibly TWO_TASK.

Somewhere in Morgantown, WV there is a couch burning!!!
    Go ears!!!

Talking Two Oracle Homes

Because you have two Oracle homes (10g & 11g) you may need to copy the sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora files to a common location and set the TNS_ADMIN environment variable to point to that location.

Also you may need to check if the 11g Listener is running and not the 10g listener.

Also you may need to add the 10g database to the 11g listsner.ora file.

Or maybe 11g works somewhat different and is compatible with the 10g listener? -- I don't think so...
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

looks like adding the ORACLE_SID as a windows system var is doing the trick. thanks for all the helpful suggestions... especially to gandolf who nailed it, and who also thinks burning couches is funny. (cause it is)

Quote Originally Posted by mcslain
    looks like adding the ORACLE_SID as a windows system var is doing the trick. thanks for all the helpful suggestions... especially to gandolf who nailed it, and who also thinks burning couches is funny. (cause it is)
    I only mention it because my bother in law went to WVU.
    Glad to see you resolved your issue.