DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN backup concept for Data Guard environment

RMAN backup concept for Data Guard environment

Hi,

I have to develop a backup concept for a new Data Guard environment with one primary database and one physical standby database. Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with RMAN so that I am looking for some ideas, hints, commands here.

On both databases, primary and standby, is archive log modus enabled as well as the flashback area. All archived logs will be written to /archivelogs. I have also installed a RMAN catalog database. All backup files have to be saved to disk from where they will be got by a tape library. It is not possible to backup directly to tape via RMAN.

My idea of an adequate and logical backup is to backup the control files, the spfile and the archive logs on both, primary and standby. On the standby database I do one level 0 backup on Sunday and incrementals 1 from Monday to Saturday once a day. All backup files except the archive logs will be saved automatically into the flashback area. The archive logs will be saved once an hour to another file system called which means that I have archive logs in the flashback area and their copies/backups in . Backup Files older than 2 days should be deleted. The tape library saves and once a day.

My first question now is: Does this concept make sense?

I have following RMAN configure settings on the primary:

CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO REDUNDANCY 1; # default
    CONFIGURE BACKUP OPTIMIZATION ON;
    CONFIGURE DEFAULT DEVICE TYPE TO DISK; # default
    CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;
    CONFIGURE DEVICE TYPE DISK BACKUP TYPE TO COPY PARALLELISM 6;
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON STANDBY;

This is my RMAN backup script by now for the primary:

RMAN> crosscheck archivelog all;
    RMAN> backup archivelog all format '/oracle/baanprod/arch/%U' not backed up 2 times;
    RMAN> delete noprompt archivelog all backed up 2 times to DEVICE TYPE DISK completed before 'sysdate-3';
    RMAN> delete noprompt obsolete;
    RMAN> delete noprompt expired backup;

On the standby I have the same RMAN configuration settings. My script for that side looks like this by now:

RMAN> run {
    RMAN> RECOVER COPY OF DATABASE WITH TAG 'ORA\$OEM_LEVEL_0';
    RMAN> BACKUP DEVICE TYPE DISK INCREMENTAL LEVEL 1 FOR RECOVER OF COPY WITH TAG 'ORA\$OEM_LEVEL_0' DATABASE;
    RMAN> backup archivelog all format '/oracle/baanprod/arch/%U' not backed up 2 times;
    RMAN> backup validate database archivelog all;
    RMAN> delete noprompt archivelog all backed up 2 times to DEVICE TYPE DISK completed before 'sysdate-3';
    RMAN> delete noprompt obsolete;
    RMAN> delete noprompt expired backup;
    RMAN> }

I made several tests with both scripts and several versions. Unfortunately RMAN ignores the "not backed up 2 times" phrase at the "backup archivelog" command and saves every archive log in every run. Any ideas why?

Does someone have the same Data Guard environment with similiar backup requirements and could offer me some scripts/commands, hints and ideas?

Thank you very much in advance!

Marco

Hi

Just a thought shouldnt this

be just

RMAN> delete noprompt archivelog all backed up 2 times to DEVICE TYPE DISK

regards
    Hrishy

Hi,

if I understood the RMAN manual correctly both shoud work. But I am not 100% sure.

Thanks,
    MArco