DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you mirror online logs onto a Standby remote server?

Can you mirror online logs onto a Standby remote server?

We are using the Standard Edition of Oracle, and we have a Standby server set up. When we do a disaster recover, we apply all the archive logs but then open up the database 'resetlogs'. Can we mirror the online logs to the standby database, and then,once we have done a recovery, open the standby using the 'mirrored' online logs, so the Standby database will have no 'lag' behind the Primary database? Thanks. Rgds. Sheryl

Hi

No.
    You should read the oracle documentation on using Datagaurd with no divergence and zero data loss.

regards
    Hrishy

Hi, thanks for the info. Do you know why you can't use the mirrored online logs?

We are using Oracle Standard and Dataguard is not available with this option. We use Dataguard on other sites that have the Enterprise license.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hrishy
    You should read the oracle documentation on using Datagaurd with no divergence and zero data loss.
    Isn't Dataguard an Enterprise Edition feature? Poster states to be running on Standard Edition.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi, I don't understand what you are asking?

As mentioned above, we are running on Oracle Standard, therefore we can't use Dataguard. This is why I am asking the question on using mirrored online logs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith
    Hi, I don't understand what you are asking?

As mentioned above, we are running on Oracle Standard, therefore we can't use Dataguard. This is why I am asking the question on using mirrored online logs. Thanks.
    Please read again my post... I was asking hrishy and also making a note about you being running on SE.

In regards to your question, you already got your answer. If you do not truth hrishy why don't you try?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for your input. I just wanted to understand the reason why we can't use mirrored online logs for a standby database. Thanks. Rgds. Sheryl

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith
    Thanks for your input. I just wanted to understand the reason why we can't use mirrored online logs for a standby database. Thanks. Rgds. Sheryl
    Bunch of reasons Sheryl.

How would your standby instance know which online redo is current?
    How would your standby instance manage to populate the redo log buffer on the SGA?
    How woudl your standby LGWR know what to do?

There is a reason why there are online and archived redo logs.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Thanks you for the info.

Just another question. In my metalink document, to failover to the standby, it says "Apply maximum archivelog from primary to standby [Including online redologs if possible]'. How can you apply the Online redologs to the standby? Thanks. Rgds. Sheryl

Hi

1) Manually apply the redo to the standby database.

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
    SQL> recover standby database;

Specify log: {=suggested | filename | AUTO | CANCEL}
    /oracle/dbvisitp/redo01.dbf <-- Type name of redo log

oracle will complain if they are out of order ,then start trying the other redo logs

But highley unlikey you cna do this in case of disaster and failover situatutions as failover means something like your primary server gor burnt and is no longer available.

regards
    Hrishy