DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN copy

RMAN copy

Hi to everyone,

I have created a weekly script using RMAN commands to take Incremental level 0 backup.
    The script before taking the next weekly backup deletes the previous for disk space reasons (not enough space for 2 backups). Each backup is about 75GB.

What I would like to do is before deleting the last backup and taking the next backup all the previous backup files and Archivelogs to be copied to another local disk, to a specific path.

I tried to put a 'cp' command but the backup is using RMAN and it does not of course understand the cp command.

Is there any similar copy command for RMAN or what can I do to copy it somewhere before deleting it from script.

Of course I could do that manually but it is not possible!!

Thanks

You could copy the files with an O/S copy command and then use RMAN to remove the backups prior to performing the new backup. Another option would be to use BACKUP BACKUPSET command to "copy" the backups to another area and then use RMAN to delete the local version.

Try this:

BACKUP DEVICE TYPE DISK COPIES 2 DATABASE FORMAT '/path1/%U','/path2/%U';

U have two copies ....

Regards,
    Paresh

Limitation with this approach is the fact that control file autobackups will only be created in one location.

you can move the backups to another location, for example /BACKUP and run the catalog command

RMAN> CATALOG START WITH '/BACKUP';