DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Platform oracle db migration

Cross Platform oracle db migration

Hi,
    We are in the process of migrating/moving around 50 oracle 9i databasee instances from solaris to AIX .

I want to know the pro's and cons and what all to be considered to do such a type of move and also any kind of tools that are available to export/import data.

Thanks for inputs in advance

This is a three steps process...
    1-- Install O/S and Oracle binaries on target box
    2-- Pre create databases on target box
    3-- Export from source, import into target
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks PAVB,

Any other things we need to look into before this process, like front end applications,their connectivities,third party products etc?

I am also working to find out the best way for the same issue. Export / Import with parallel option is the only best way i have seen so far but it is very time consuming for large databases.

I will keep this thread update if i find any other best way

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

If you desided to go with export / import make sure that your database is not available for any updates before you start the export. Good option is put the database in restricted mode before you start the export and till you complete the import.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by aj_usa
    Any other things we need to look into before this process, like front end applications,their connectivities,third party products etc?
    You may want to do it twice.

The first time as a test, the second one for good.

On the first one you have to get all users/vendors to sign an User Test Acceptance agreement.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

You could have used Convert Database command if you were in 10g.
    Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.

Quote Originally Posted by hany
    You could have used Convert Database command if you were in 10g.
    Are you positive both source and target hardware have the same endianness?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    Are you positive both source and target hardware have the same endianness?

DBMS_TDB.CHECK_DB would tell
    Anyone can hold the helm when the sea is calm.

Quote Originally Posted by hany
    DBMS_TDB.CHECK_DB would tell
    A quick check on any big/little-endian matrix would do either... I was asking if you were positive "before" suggesting the RMAN method
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov