DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ASM Migration

ASM Migration

Hi,

Is it possible to migrate database stored on ASM to raw filesystem? If possible,please let me know the steps to do this
    migration.

Thanks...

Yes, it is possible.
    I would do something like...

1- Pre create new database on raw devices.
    2- Export source database
    3- Import dump file into target database

How big is it?...
    Are you moving accross Oracle or O/S versions? Suggested procedure would take care of any or both of those anyway.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Talking rman

Quote Originally Posted by malru
    Hi,

Is it possible to migrate database stored on ASM to raw filesystem? If possible,please let me know the steps to do this
    migration.

Thanks...
    Your request is not clear.
    Are you using ASM on non-raw devices and you wish to migrate ASM to raw?

If this is the case: 1) take rman backup, 2) mount the raw devices, 3) modify asm parameters to "find" raw devices, 4) create the disk groups and directories, 5) recover database to new file-system.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA
    Your request is not clear.
    Are you using ASM on non-raw devices and you wish to migrate ASM to raw?
    I think poster wants to go back in time from ASM to bare raw devices... which is uncommon 'cause of ASM gives you "near raw devices performance" without the nightmare of administering them.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.