DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: do RMAN erase all archivelogs in mode archivelog multiplexing ?

do RMAN erase all archivelogs in mode archivelog multiplexing ?

Hi all,
    I want to know if RMAN erase all archivelogs in mode archivelog multiplexing.
    In fact, i enabled archivelog multiplexing because i have another backup software (Legato NetWorker) that must run with his own archivelogs. I know that RMAN erase the archivelogs after the backup but i don't know if it does it in this case.
    Thanks for all.

You can specify DELETE ALL INPUT when you backup the archive logs.

Thank you for replying.
    What I want is that RMAN erase only the archivelogs located in the default archive destination. The second destination will be used by the second software (NetWorker).
    If RMAN erase all archivelogs the backup with NetWorker would not be consistent because some archivelogs can be missed.

You could perform the delete as follows:

Code:
    DELETE NOPROMPT ARCHIVELOG LIKE '<first_archivelog_location>%' 
        BACKED UP 1 TIMES TO DEVICE TYPE DISK;
    however, you will still need to consider how you are going to manage the removal of the archivelogs in the second location and let RMAN know when these are removed.
    Last edited by ebrian; 09-07-2008 at 12:04 AM.

Why should I let RMAN know the removal of the second destination.
    Is this essential for the running ?

If you manually delete the archive logs from the second destination, then RMAN backups of the archive logs will fail unless you CROSSCHECK and DELETE EXPIRED first or if you have OPTIMIZATION set to ON.

In addition, if the archive logs in the second destination are kept for an extended period of time, depending on how you backup your archive logs and if you have OPTIMIZATION set to OFF, the archive logs in the second destination could be backed up each time you run a backup.