DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Retrieve source code

Question Retrieve source code

Dear all,

I would like to find out if there is a way to retrieve source code of stored procedures/functions from the database. I used to use TOAD to retrieve the source code; however, my TOAD is no longer able to connect to remote database any more. I tried v$sqltext, dba_sql but didn't see what I am looking for.

Thanks,
    Unna

How about dba_source ?
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Quote Originally Posted by Unna
    ... my TOAD is no longer able to connect to remote database any more.
    Double-check one tnsnames entry at a time.

If your tnsnames entry is using DNS names try to ping it, if it fails try to ping the actual IP address, if it works alter tnsnames entry to describe host by IP address rather than by DNS.

Once you can ping the box, set your Oracle environment and tnsping your target database, if you can do that Toad should.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for all your reply.

I did try dba_source, but the text column is not long enough; it only covers 4000 bytes. Do I need to setup the output properly in order to see the full text of the script on the text column? Or is there another view that I can retrieve the code from?

Our database is in secured server, only certainly applications are allowed to connect.

Thanks,
    Unna

I just found out that I was looking for the wrong information. I am all good now. The text in dba_source gives me what I am looking for. Thanks again!