DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Connecting Client Windows-Server Linux

Connecting Client Windows-Server Linux

Hello,

I could set up my oracle db on a server running Linux (RHEL4). I have some client machine that run Windows XP and I have to set'em up so that the can connect to the database server.

Can somebody tell me how to configure that environment?

Thanks.

Thumbs down WinDoze client

1) Create database on Linux.
    2) Install Oracle client on WinDoze.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Did that allready...with the 'usual' configs i.e configuring the tnsname of the client so that it points to the server(as I use to do when connecting two db in windows). Doesn't work with Linux, that's why am asking for your guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by abdel
    Doesn't work with Linux, that's why am asking for your guidance.
    It should work. It should not matter what operating system you are using for your database and what operating system you are using for your client. On windows there is an NT authentication parameter in the sqlnet.ora file, if it is there comment it out. Are you using domain names in you tnsnames.ora, try it without the domain names. Do you have the right tnsnames entry on the client, check the ip address/servername, sid name and port. If you are using the server name, try pinging it to see if the client can find the right ip address.

You need to do some really basic troubleshooting to see what the issue is. Like, did you start the listener on the database server? Is the database even running? Are you using ip filtering in the listener? How is anyone else going to know what the problem is, since there could be any number of reasons for this to not work.

The error I am getting is that 'the target host does not exist'. I'll run all the check you suggested Gandolf, and see how it goes.

then your tnsnames file is wrong as your machine cannot resolve the name used

Can you ping the Linux box from the Windows machine using DNS?
    Can you ping the Linux box from the Windows machine using IP address?
    Have you set your oracle_home and sid properly on Windows machine?
    What happens when you tnsping the target database?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB
    Can you ping the Linux box from the Windows machine using DNS?
    Can you ping the Linux box from the Windows machine using IP address?
    The ping doesn't work. The network mustn't be properly configured cuz the windows box can't see Linux. I'll fix that first and see how It goes.

Talking Firewall

Quote Originally Posted by abdel
    The ping doesn't work. The network mustn't be properly configured cuz the windows box can't see Linux. I'll fix that first and see how It goes.
    There you go! Also check firewall rules.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb