DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: imp/exp Linux-Windows

imp/exp Linux-Windows

Hello,

Is it possible to import a file in Linux which was exported in windows and vice-versa?

Why don't you give it a try yourself, if you have both circumstances available?
    From my understanding, I see no problem with that. I read somewhere, we need to take care of oracle versions, patches, NLS_% parameters etc. And you can go ahead. I am talking about full db export here. Please also refer to this approach AskTom suggests:
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/...D:526422273445

gtcol

Quote Originally Posted by gtcol
    Why don't you give it a try yourself, if you have both circumstances available?l
    The idea crossed my mind but I as I don't know what the outcome would be, I must say that I am a little scared. Anyway, I'll try that on my own pc. Do you wanna know how it went?

Quote Originally Posted by abdel
    Do you wanna know how it went?

of course, we cant wait!

I can wait. It doesn't matter what os that you exp from or imp to, you are still using the same two programs, which have each been compiled on their respecitve platforms. It is also one of the primary methods that people use to migrate from one platform to another. Replication being another method.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolf989
    I can wait. It doesn't matter what os that you exp from or imp to
    I am not an expert dba but a priori what you said is correct. I did the import on Linux, of a dump that was compiled in Windows and it seems to be O.K. Didn't try the reverse though

Thanks.