DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Looking for oracle DBA experince

Looking for oracle DBA experince

Hello
    Am an Oracle dba 9i &10g OCP holder for a year now and I have looking for an entry level as an Oracle DBA but I always get negetive replies due to no oracle dba working experience.

Please I need helps if there any company in UK, America or Switzerland where I can get an opportunity to do practicals work experience as an Oracle dba or any one who can help me out.

Am currently living in Switzerland

Let me get this straight, you hold an Ora10g OCP certification and you have no experience at all?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

No You didn't get me right, when I apply for work, they always ask from 1-2 years working experience as Oracle DBA and a letter of reference from where you work as a DBA.

I always get reply that i dont have the minium experience needed for the job and here there is no entry level for us. The minmum entry level is from 1 years unless when you know someone who can help and guide you through.

Is that a fact?... or it isn't?

Well... reading what you posted I would say I got it right or you wrote something very different at what you tried to convey. You clearly say
    Quote Originally Posted by VICE
    Am an Oracle dba 9i &10g OCP holder for a year now ...
    You have to work in your inter-personal comm issues which are very important for a DBA.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by VICE
    The minimum entry level is from 1 years unless when you know someone who can help and guide you through.
    I think you summed it up nicely. You need to find someone who is a DBA that will help you get started, or find a job with a company that has DBA's and eventually work your way into becoming a DBA.

Generally starting on a helpdesk or some other similar support position gets your foot in the door and gives you a chance to work towards a DBA position.