DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Using EXP for backups

Using EXP for backups

Hi,

I am having some problems setting up backups using EXP.

Environment:
    Windows 2003 Server
    Oracle 10g R2 (10.2.0.1) Database

I want to setup a script:

"exp '/@SID as sysdba' file=X:\DBFull.dmp log=X:\DBFull.log Full=yes statistics=none"

obviously using a windows account to execute the script via task scheduler.

The problem I am having is that I cannot seem to setup the windows authentication part (external user). I am trying to do this by using "Administration Assistant for Windows", which launches, but hangs when trying to add a new user. I think it is because of the number of users we have on the domain?

My questions therefore are:

1. Is my script the correct?

2. Should I add a windows user to OS Database Operators or OS Database Administrators?

3. Is this the right way of doing a simple online backup. I don't need to setup archiving etc.

Thanx
    dave

exp isnt a backup tool - use rman

Yes, you should be a member of dba group. Also, exp /@SID is not a proper syntax. @SID has to be specified only for remote databases, but you want a local account to run it. So, it has to be exp '/ as sysdba'
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Hi,

Thanx for the replies. Yes, EXP is not a backup tool, but it works if we don't need high-availability, is a lot more easier to setup and maintain. Thanx for the advice davey.

BV1963 - I had to specify @SID as we are running multiple instances on a single server. I have managed to get it to work. The problem seemed to have been caused by Oracle Administration Assistant for Windows. It takes forever to read our Active Directory Structure.

Thanx though...

Quote Originally Posted by budh
    Yes, EXP is not a backup tool, but it works if we don't need high-availability, is a lot more easier to setup and maintain. Thanx for the advice davey.
    If your SLA is like recover never or only after manually rebuilding your instance from scratch you are correct, you can go with exp.

You are agreeing that "EXP is not a backup tool" but you still are resorting to it. It just doesn't makes any sense.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.