DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: PLSQL Generate Row_id

PLSQL Generate Row_id

How to generate row_id automatically thru sql?

mmhhhh... rowid is a pseudo column that singles out each row in your table but you do not generate it, well... actually if you insert a row Oracle would generate "automatically" the rowid for you; isn't that great?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I think u didn't get dat ..i meant to say IF I am taking one additional column in my table where I need to assign one column a sequence ..Is there any function available in plsql...to do that

Quote Originally Posted by himanshu990
    I think u didn't get dat ..i meant to say IF I am taking one additional column in my table where I need to assign one column a sequence ..Is there any function available in plsql...to do that
    Is that a fact? I think you clearly asked for rowid, whatever.
    Your answer is Yes. Have you ever heard about Oracle Sequences? just google it.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

yes man i worked on that and it helped me too ...

Tanx....