DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle - generating tables

Hi all,

I want to use the schema in Erwin 3.5.2 to forward enginneer & generate the structure of my Oracle database. (This is how I do for SQLServer) But when I try to connect to my Oracle database(I already have a system DSN set up), my Erwin just does not connect. It does not give me any error messages, but the login window just stays there, without connecting.
    Has anyone come across this problem before?
    Is anything wrong with my Oracle driver or my Erwin?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Shiva.

Did you create TNS for the database.

What is a TNS?

To connect to the DB, you normally need a connect string. This connect string is usually configured thru "netasst" or by directly editing the tnsnames.ora file.

When you configure the DSN did you specify the Service Name (TNS)?. Try connect to the DB thru SQL*Plus or any other tool by that Service Name.

Try ODBC tracing if nothing helps.

What is a TNS?

TNS is nothing but Transparent Network Substrate. This is necessary to establish TNS network connections. A TNS listener is a process that receives the connection request of an initiator, resolves the given address to the network address of the destination and establishes a TNS connection to the destination. TNS configuration in ORACLE CLIENT and LISTENER entry in ORACLE SERVER of your database's SID, will only establish connections between the Client and Server.

Srikanth