DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Migration help from oracle 8i to oracle 9i

Migration help from oracle 8i to oracle 9i

Hello all,

we have oracle 8.1.7 on main server and now want to migrate the database to oracle 9.2.0.

The things is that "db_block_size" parameter value is 8192 in 8i.

when i tried to create new database with the help of DBCA in 9i with "db_block_size" value = 8192 then it gives me error "can not create control files with db_block_size = 8192".

can any one help me out?

tell me other ways of migration also...

-- Thanks
    Prashant Hirani

Check your init.ora file... look for db_block_size paramenter.

Next time, please copy/paste/post whole error stack -not your interpretation of it.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks PAVB.

i know there is problem with db_block_size parameter..

i think you are not getting my question. i am asking you why it is not possible to create db with 8k block size by using DBCA??

post the full error, the parameter file used, the os and the commands used - you are only providing half the information