DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Import / Tablespace

Import / Tablespace

Hello,

I have again a question conerning import of data. I exported a database with the parameter full=y.
    Is it possible to import the data of only one tablespace from the exported dump-file? And if yes, how I can do it?

Regards

By using datapump You can use remap_tablespace option to import objects of one tablespace to another tablespace

Quote Originally Posted by gopu_g
    By using datapump You can use remap_tablespace option to import objects of one tablespace to another tablespace
    Poster doesn't mention using expdp. It looks like poster did a plain "exp full=y" and wants to import the content of a single tablespace which in such a scenario can't be done.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

hi PAVB,

I know that....but i dont know we can do it from a normal exp.
    but i read there is one option like remap_tablespace is in the expdp.So if he wished he can go for that

I think expdp is a feature of Oracle 10g, right? I forgot to say I want to import th content of one tablespace on a Oracle 9.2 instance.

But it seems not to work according to PAVB statement.

yes in 9i it wont work . Datapump is the feature of 10g

Another question. I have saved the *.dbf files of the tablespace, too. Is it possible to replace the old tablespace with the actual tablespace? Or will an error occured after mounting the instance?

Regards

Don't do it in you "live" database; you are going to kill it.

The good news is that you can use your saved datafiles by creating a new "cloned" database pointing to them, once you have it up-and-running you can export all objects sitting on your infamous tablespace and then import them into your "live" database.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Talking The tablespace of your desires

Quote Originally Posted by NetCohort
    I think expdp is a feature of Oracle 10g, right? I forgot to say I want to import th content of one tablespace on a Oracle 9.2 instance.

But it seems not to work according to PAVB statement.
    If you know the contents of that tablespace (or get them from the DDL generated with show=y) you could import those particular objects (tables) for the tablespace of your desires.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb