DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RMAN nocatalog

Quote Originally Posted by BV1963
    It is actually up to you, I see no reason not to use a catalog even alternative ways to restore your database do exist.
    Let me ask you a question, why not to use it? What are you trying to save?
    Correction: Ebrian's remark is the most remarkable I mean
    Hi,

The fact that you have to create another database for the catalog is cumbersome plus u have to protect the 2nd maybe by another rman catalog like a chain reaction?

Thanks
    Last edited by reeshe; 07-30-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reeshe
    Correction: Ebrian's remark is the most remarkable I mean
    Hi,

The fact that you have to create another database for the catalog is cumbersome plus u have to protect the 2nd maybe by another rman catalog like a chain reaction?

Thanks
    U do not have to protect it because you still have a controlfiles, and u considering NOT TO HAVE a catalog, so why are you so concerned with protecting a catalog?
    Secondly, it is not ac umbersome , just create a another small database.
    You greatly reduce you chances for a problem since catalog database and all of your controlfile are not likely to be lost at the same time.
    In summary....It is really your choice. If you feel that it is not worth the efforts... Let me ask you, did you ever have to restore a production database without a catalog? Do you want to have that experience?
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!