DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RMAN nocatalog

RMAN nocatalog

Hi Friends,

I have been backing up my database with RMAN nocatalog and it was fine.
    What is the advantage of RMAN with catalog pls? What I can see is a disadvantage because you need to have another database for the catalog.
    So you have also to protect it by backup it up with rman too? What will happen if the catalog crashes and you have no backup?

Thanks a lot

1)A recovery catalog is a schema stored in a database that tracks backups and stores scripts for use in RMAN backup.
    2) Yes.. We have to protect the catalog database.if the catalog database is crashed you will lost the backup informations you kept in the catalog.if you have the backup of the catalog database you can restore the database.

If you use a catalog then your backup informatin stored in 2 places, control file and catalog. If you lose a catalog you still have you control file (some limitations on how far back you can go will apply). If you lose you control file , you still have a catalog and will be able to restore a control file.
    If you do NOT have a catalog and lost your controlfiles, you should look for another job because most likely you will be fired.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Thanks New Friend, Just saw ur ID here

I'm a little confused about control files, how often do u backup the control files? if I have weekly backup of control files will I be able to use the week old control file if the current is lost?

By the way in my RMAN backup the control file is also included, how can I lose the control files if it is being backed up?

Thanks
    Last edited by reeshe; 07-11-2008 at 10:08 AM.

If you lose all your live control files , your back info does not exists because it is stored in the very same control files that you just lost and in case u did not have a catalog you can not recover. If you do have a catalog, you can recover your controlfile, mount database and proceed with the database recovery.
    This is classic interview question, you would not pass !
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

can not recover? - what utter utter rubbish

I think you can recover from control file loss in no catalog mode provided you have configured "controlfile autobackup on"

Please see "Table 2-25 RESTORE CONTROLFILE Scenarios" table from below link.
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...rcmsynta46.htm
    Rgds
    Parag

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk
    can not recover? - what utter utter rubbish
    So how do you suggest one would restore a database in a case when original server and disks are gone and you need to restore your database on another server ? Can you do it if your rman backup is done in nocatalog mode?

I am not going to judge your technical skills , perhaps they are very good. It is possible that I made a mistake(u did not prove me wrong yet). Even it all this is true, it does not warrant a language you are using in response. After all this is a forum to exchange opinions .
    Respect others and you will be respected .

Quote Originally Posted by paragp1981
    I think you can recover from control file loss in no catalog mode provided you have configured "controlfile autobackup on"

Please see "Table 2-25 RESTORE CONTROLFILE Scenarios" table from below link.
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...rcmsynta46.htm
    Yes, you can restore from autobackup. I missed that. But what if autobackup location is gone too? Imagine you have all your rman backups sitting on the tape(netbackup or whatever other tsm ) and no controlfile! How would you restore your database?

Hi

The trick is to know the dbid and restore the controlfile from your tape backups

Code:
    rman target /
    set dbid 
    startup nomount;
    run
    {
    allocate channel ch1sbt_tape type sbt;
    set controlfile autobackup format for device type sbt to
    'path_to_controlfile/%F'; 
    restore controlfile from autobackup;
    release channel ch1_tape;
    }
    You need to store the dbid somewhere otherwise i am afraid you are lost.

regards
    Hrishy