DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Block Corruption in system01.dbf

Question Block Corruption in system01.dbf

Oracle 9.2.0.6.0
    To begin, I have googled and read through tons of information. I've seen conflicting items and am getting confused. I am not by any means an expert DBA, so please bear with me.

I'm attempting to use the dbms_repair utility but it seems to do nothing for me.
    We had a bad disk on our Linux server which has since been repaired. I have seen numerous block corruptions throughout several of my databases. Most of them were a simple fix, drop and recreate the table effected. But on my final database the issues seems much worse. I'm thinking my only hope at this point is to export my users with the data relevant to the application, and recreating the database, because this has to do with the system01.dbf. I'd like to avoid this if possible. This is considered our "upgrade" testing database, so I do not have anywhere to just restore from.

ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 1, block # 26107)
    ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u04/oradata/adv9/system01.dbf'

Because these are "testing" databases, we are not keeping backups (this is not MY choice, out of my hands).

Perhaps I am not using the dbms_utility properly? I am not sure. Any advice would be much appreciated.

You forgot to tell us what happens when you attempt to use DBMS_REPAIR

Either way... did you find out which is the affected object sitting on file # 1, block # 26107?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I would run through the steps and create the "repair_table" and it was empty. I just don't really understand I suppose.

Now I'm looking in SYS.DBA_EXTENTS and I cannot find any files file_id=1, block_id=26107

I used that DBVERIFY like this but it doesn't show me anything I don't know.
    dbv file=system01.dbf start=26106 end=26108 feedback=2

Unfortunately I am the only person here who has some sort of a clue, but I have never run across this issue before.

Check this note in metalink,It is regarding hadling block corruptions in database.

https://metalink.oracle.com/metalink...,1,helvetica#1

Thank you.

I ran through the article (which was great BTW) and it kept stating that if the owner is "SYS" to contact Oracle. I also went through the recovery options and none of them seem to fit. I did narrow it down to the table SYS.IDL_CHAR$

I do not think dropping and recreating this from another one of my databases is an option. (Is it??) I'm hesitant to do something like this in the SYSTEM tablespace. I can't see any other options but to export/re-create/import.

so... if documentation keeps saying "if the owner is SYS then contact Oracle"... and happens that your corrupted block is in a SYS owned object... what do I have to do? ... what do I have to do?... mmmhhh

Have you considered to open a TAR with Oracle?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by cdirocco
    I would run through the steps and create the "repair_table" and it was empty. I just don't really understand I suppose.

Now I'm looking in SYS.DBA_EXTENTS and I cannot find any files file_id=1, block_id=26107

I used that DBVERIFY like this but it doesn't show me anything I don't know.
    dbv file=system01.dbf start=26106 end=26108 feedback=2

Unfortunately I am the only person here who has some sort of a clue, but I have never run across this issue before.
    No! I would say fortunately..that way no one sees your bloopers!!!! :-). If you have an account with Oracle then contact them as someone suggested..
    Looking for the greatest evil in the world? Look in the mirror.