I am trying to take the hot backup of the oracle 8.0.5 . All the documentary reference gives a very laborous steps in doing so(They give a batch program to do so).
Before making a batch program, I would like to execute each steps manually(For the understanding purpose)
Would someone help me in taking a step by step -hot backup. This is my
DB name : oracle
Directory : d:\orant\database
Archiver log : Enabled and Archiving is in progres.
It is very simple. Hot backup's are done when the database is online. What you have to do is backup every tablespace one after another. You cannot backup the whole database in one step. Beofre you backup issue the statement:
ALTER TABLESPACE tablespace_name BEGIN BACKUP;
Now back up all the datafiles that belong to that tablespace.
End the Backup :
ALTER TABLESPACE tablespace_name END BACKUP;
Hope this helps.
As what nbaig says, he's right, I'm just giving some points to be sure what u'r doing.
1. Check the datafiles associated with the TBS using v$Tablespace
2. Be sure that the TBS is made offline NORMALLY only and not immediate or temporary
3. For faster results issue a checkpoint befre taking the TBS offline.
4. Remember, more the time it takes to copy a datafile, more pefomance overhead is added. So make the copying of datafiles fast.
5. See to that, there is adequate space in the archive dest directory.
A Winner never Quits, A Quitter never Wins
Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width