DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Estimation of dump files- oracle 9i,10g2

Well... this is pretty interesting because you have managed to move this forum into the quantum world, you are correct and at the same time you are wrong.

You are correct because what you say is true.
    You are wrong because you are not answering the poster's question, you have derived a new question on your own and then you have answered it.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Yes, maybe I can bring back some clarity : the poster´s Q was :

" How to estimate the size of export without running export in Oracle 9i environment?"

The answer must be :

==> "** WITHOUT RUNNING **, you are out of luck, this can´t be done, BUT you can do it running export with just a (relatively) small fraction of data, consuming very few resources and time, in a a manner similar to expdp but not identical, using the procedure I wrote in my original post - is this useful ?"

The other answers will be :

"Is there any process to make export exp & import imp faster??"

=> Yes, use the DIRECT, BUFFER and RECORDLENGTH option in export, do NOT export indexes and constraints (make a script only and later run the script with parallel/nologging/enable novalidate), do some simultaneous exports (each one exporting a distinct fraction of data), things like that... Read the Utilities manual to find refs and syntax.

"... and how do i calculated how much time import (original imp utility) takes without actually doing import?( imp)"

==> Again, this can´t be done, BUT you can import a fraction and make a extrapolation, that´s it.... be warned, this is an ESTIMATE, you can be wrong for a margin...

Regards,

Chiappa

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by JChiappa
    => do NOT export indexes and constraints (make a script only and later run the script with parallel/nologging/enable novalidate), do some simultaneous exports (each one exporting a distinct fraction of data), things like that... Read the Utilities manual to find refs and syntax.

you mean dont import index and constraints

Thank you for supporting my point, here is the question poster never asked and you made up...

Quote Originally Posted by JChiappa
    The other answers will be :

"Is there any process to make export exp & import imp faster??"
    ...it's even signed by you.

By the way... you say "other answer" and you write a "question"?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.