DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Compressed archivelogs not being backed up by RMAN

Hybrid View

Compressed archivelogs not being backed up by RMAN

Hi,

Oracle: 9.2.0.6

We take full backup of our production database daily using RMAN. The archivelogs are compressed every 15 minutes and RMAN is not recognizing the compressed archivelogs and backing up only those archivelogs that are not compressed yet at the point in time when the backup is taken. Because of this all the archivelogs are not getting backed up. Will this create a problem? The compressed archivelogs are retained for 14 days before being removed automatically.

Please advise.

Thanks.

rman can only backup uncompressed logs, dont compress them

Cool

If you are short on space, instead of compressing the archive logs, just backup every 1 hour, 2 hours or 4 hours or whatever period using the RMAN delete input option.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Yes, 'delete input' is a nice option

Yes, 'delete input' is a nice option, but I can't go for it right now as there is a lot of process involved to make any kind of change in production database. So, I just want to know if this can become a problem for me. What I feel is that as we are taking full RMAN backup everyday, archives are of no use (am I right?) once I take the full backup.

Please advise. Thanks.

Cool

...as we are taking full RMAN backup everyday, archives are of no use (am I right?) once I take the full backup.
    So you wouldn't mind loosing the transactions for one day?

You need the archive logs between and after backup(s) to completely recover the database.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb